Fabrication of Optoelectronic Devices with Embedded Void-Gap Structures
Tech ID: 21958 / UC Case 2012-082-0
A variety of techniques to improve the performance of LEDs and laser diodes by embedding photonic crystals or voids into the optoelectronic devices.
A variety of techniques to improve the performance of LEDs and laser diodes by embedding voids into the optoelectronic device structures.
Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara have developed a variety of techniques to improve the performance of LEDs and laser diodes by embedding photonic crystals or voids into the optoelectronic devices. The patterns of the structured layers can be random or periodic and arranged in one, two or three dimensions and are ready for final contacting without the need for further growth.
- Fabrication is relatively easy
- The resulting structures do not require further growth
- Improved device performance
- Fabrication of LEDs and Laser Diodes
This technology is available for licensing.
- Jewell, Jason
- Simeonov, Dobri
- Speck, James S.
- Weisbuch, Claude C.
indssl, indphoto, photonic crystal, cenIEE
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
- Self-Assembled Nano-Cluster And Quantum Dot Lattices
- Reduced Dislocation Density of Non-Polar GaN Grown by Hydride Vapor Phase Epitaxy
- Growth of Planar, Non-Polar, A-Plane GaN by Hydride Vapor Phase Epitaxy
- Improved Manufacturing of Semiconductor Lasers
- High Efficiency LED With Emitters Within Structured Materials
- Cleaved Facet Edge-Emitting Laser Diodes Grown on Semipolar GaN
- Etching Technique for the Fabrication of Thin (Al, In, Ga)N Layers
- Nitride-Based LED with Optimized Efficiency
- Growth of High-Quality, Thick, Non-Polar M-Plane GaN Films
- Growth of Planar Semi-Polar Gallium Nitride
- Photonic Structures for Efficient Light Extraction and Conversion in Multi-Color LEDs
- Defect Reduction of Non-Polar and Semi-Polar III-Nitrides
- MOCVD Growth of Planar Non-Polar M-Plane Gallium Nitride
- Lateral Growth Method for Defect Reduction of Semipolar Nitride Films
- Improved Manufacturing of Solid State Lasers via Patterning of Photonic Crystals
- Low Carrier Loss Device Structure for High Performance Green LEDs
- Single or Multi-Color High Efficiency LED by Growth Over a Patterned Substrate
- High Efficiency LED with Optimized Photonic Crystal Extractor
- High Efficiency and High Brightness LEDs for Various Lighting Applications
- Natural Convection for Ammonothermal Growth of Group-III Nitrides
- Growth of Semipolar III-V Nitride Films with Lower Defect Density
- Enhanced Optical Polarization of Nitride LEDs by Increased Indium Incorporation
- Fabrication of LEDs with Polarized Light Emission
- Semipolar-Based Yellow, Green, Blue LEDs with Improved Performance
- Hexagonal Würtzite Type Epitaxial Layer with a Low Alkali-Metal Concentration
- Photoelectrochemical Etching for Chip Shaping Of LEDs
- Highly Efficient Blue-Violet III-Nitride Semipolar Laser Diodes
- Method for Manufacturing Improved III-Nitride LEDs and Laser Diodes
- Method for Modifying Growth Conditions for Ammonothermal GaN Growth
- Defect Reduction in GaN films using in-situ SiNx Nanomask
- Semi-polar LED/LD Devices on Relaxed Template with Misfit Dislocation at Hetero-interface
- Limiting Strain-Relaxation in III-Nitride Heterostructures by Substrate Patterning
- Suppression of Defect Formation and Increase in Critical Thickness by Silicon Doping