Wavelength-Division Multiplexing Device As Optical Multiplexer-Demultiplexer
Tech ID: 22075 / UC Case 2004-257-0
A novel Wavelength-Division Multiplexer device to interleave multiple signals into a multiplexed, multi-channel optical laser signal.
Wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) systems place several different wavelengths of laser radiation into a single optical fiber (multiplexing) at the transmitter, and spatially separate the wavelengths at the receiver (demultiplexing). Most wavelength-division multiplexing schemes are either expensive, bulky, or suffer from poor insertion loss characteristics..
Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara have developed a novel Wavelength-Division Multiplexer device to interleave multiple signals into a multiplexed, multi-channel optical laser signal. The device can also work in the reverse direction to separate (demultiplex) an optical laser signal containing several different wavelengths into separate signals with corresponding channels.
- Improved insertion loss characteristics
- Wavelength-division multiplexing and demultiplexing techniques
- Optical devices for multiplexing and demultiplexing several different wavelengths of laser radiation
- Wavelength routing and channel dropping applications
This technology is available for licensing.
|United States Of America||Issued Patent||5,835,517||11/10/1998||2004-257|
- UCSB -GIFT, UCSB -GIFT
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
- Method For Making Advanced Thermoelectric Devices
- Silicon Wafers Containing Conductive Feedthroughs
- Wavelength Division Multiplexed Array of Long-Wavelength Vertical Cavity Lasers
- Method of Making a Semiconductor Device with Aligned Oxide Apertures and Contact to an Intervening Layer
- Constant Temperature Performance Laser
- Low-Capacitance Bond Pads for High Speed Devices
- Long Wavelength, Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser with Vertically Integrated Optical Pump
- Method for Increasing Laser Efficiency in Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser
- Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser with Enhanced Second Harmonic Generation
- Optically Pumped Long Wavelength Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser
- High-Power Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser Cluster
- Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser Transmitter and Receiver
- Process for Manufacturing Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Lasers
- Photonic Device with Integral Guide for Optical Alignment
- Optical Layer Multicasting Using a Single Sub-Carrier Header
- High-Throuhput, Low-Latency Next Generation Internet Networks Using Optical Label Switching