Method of Making a Semiconductor Device with Aligned Oxide Apertures and Contact to an Intervening Layer
Tech ID: 22055 / UC Case 2004-261-0
A process for use in fabrication of a semiconductor device that produces low loss refractive index guiding.
A long-wavelength vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL) can be optically coupled to and optically pumped by a shorter wavelength, electrically pumped VCSEL. Two key requirements for manufacturing this setup are precise alignment of the optical mode of the two VCSELs over a wafer scale, combined with electrical contact to both a p-doped layer and an n-doped layer of the short-wavelength VCSEL.
Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara have developed a process for use in fabrication of a semiconductor device. The fabricated semiconductor device includes a top oxide aperture within a top oxidation layer and a bottom oxide aperture within a bottom oxidation layer precisely positioned relative to each other, and an electrical contact to a contact layer between the top and bottom oxidation layers. Using this technique promotes low-loss refractive index guiding combined with a mechanically robust and reproducible structure. The aligned oxide apertures provide a lateral refractive index profile, which guides the optical energy. This technology is particularly useful when applied to VCSELs.
- Low-loss refractive index guiding
- Mechanically robust
- Reproducible structure
- Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Lasers (VCSELs)
- Optical Communications
This technology is available for licensing.
|United States Of America||Issued Patent||6,372,533||04/16/2002||2004-261|
|United States Of America||Issued Patent||6,314,118||11/06/2001||2004-261|
- UCSB -GIFT, UCSB -GIFT
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
- Method For Making Advanced Thermoelectric Devices
- Silicon Wafers Containing Conductive Feedthroughs
- Wavelength Division Multiplexed Array of Long-Wavelength Vertical Cavity Lasers
- Constant Temperature Performance Laser
- Low-Capacitance Bond Pads for High Speed Devices
- Long Wavelength, Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser with Vertically Integrated Optical Pump
- Method for Increasing Laser Efficiency in Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser
- Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser with Enhanced Second Harmonic Generation
- Optically Pumped Long Wavelength Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser
- High-Power Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser Cluster
- Wavelength-Division Multiplexing Device As Optical Multiplexer-Demultiplexer
- Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser Transmitter and Receiver
- Process for Manufacturing Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Lasers
- Photonic Device with Integral Guide for Optical Alignment
- Optical Layer Multicasting Using a Single Sub-Carrier Header
- High-Throuhput, Low-Latency Next Generation Internet Networks Using Optical Label Switching