Horizontal Current Bulk Bipolar Transistor
Tech ID: 20539 / UC Case 2001-332-0
Researchers at UCLA have developed a bipolar transistor structure that overcomes the traditional scaling limitations of current, state of the art bipolar transistors due to an innovative manufacturing process that is cheaper and simpler to produce than vertical current transistor structures.
Current, state of the art bipolar transistors are processed with self-aligned, double polysilicon, trench-isolated layers, which have not changed the device geometry or the placement of electrodes and subsequently prevented the scaling and ultimately limited the minimum size of these devices.
Researchers at UCLA have developed a bipolar transistor structure, called a Horizontal Current Bipolar Transistor (HCBT), for use in integrated circuits where the active device is processed on the sidewall of an n-doped portion so that the surface footprint does not depend on the desired area of the active device region.
- Bipolar transistor structure for use in integrated circuits
- Overcomes some traditional bipolar transistor disadvantages
- Lower cost and simpler fabrication
- Only requires a single polysilicon layer, and eliminates the need for epitaxial processes and trench isolation
- Reduced number of photolithography steps (5 masks to one metal, compared to 6-8 needed for vertical current devices)
- Improved high frequency characteristics
State of Development
HCBT structure demonstrated and patented.
|United States Of America||Issued Patent||7,038,249||05/02/2006||2001-332|
- Wang, Kang-Lung L.
computer hardware, devices, electrical, materials, nanotechnology, process/procedure, bipolar, transistor, integrated circuit
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
- Relaxed SiGe Films By Surfactant Mediation
- Horizontal Current Bipolar Transistor
- Vertical Gate-Depleted Single Electron Transistors
- High Aspect Ratio FinFET For High-Density CMOS/BiCMOS Applications
- High Aspect Ratio FinFET
- Novel Nanomaterial-based Thermo-Photovoltaic Cells
- Ordered And Self-Assembled MnXGe1-X Nanostructures By MBE
- Graphene Flash Memory Device
- Vertical-Stacked-Array-Transistor (VSAT) for Nonvolatile Memory Devices
- Vsat Structure For Nonvolatile Memory Device