Power-optimal Dual-Vdd Buffered Tree And Fast Algorithms For Power-optimal Buffering
Tech ID: 20388 / UC Case 2005-733-0
UCLA researchers in the Department of Electrical Engineering have developed a novel power-optimal dual-Vdd buffered tree and fast algorithms for power-optimal buffering.
Aggressive scaling of VLSI circuits makes interconnects the performance bottleneck, and buffer insertion is used extensively to reduce interconnect delay at the expense of more power dissipation. Interconnect optimization is a critical component of typical VLSI design flows for timing closure.
The invention has an innovative concept of applying dual-Vdd inside a routing tree, including buffer insertion for given tree topology and buffered tree. An algorithm to tackle the power-optimal buffer insertion and buffered routing tree construction problems using dual Vdd buffers is also disclosed. The algorithm improves on the current state of the art by using three speed-up techniques to obtain an effectively linear time algorithm.
Complex VLSI circuit design Power minimization within Dual Vdd buffer circuitry
- 17x speed up (without implementation of fast algorithms) with little loss of optimality compared to current methods
- Dual-Vdd buffers reduce power by 23% at the minimum delay specification compared to buffer insertion with single Vdd buffers
- Compared to the delay-optimal tree using single Vdd buffers, the power-optimal buffered tree designed at UCLA reduces power by 7% (single Vdd buffers) and 18% (dual Vdd) buffers at the minimum delay specification
- By implementing fast algorithms, 50x and 100x speedup are obtained compared to the most efficient existing algorithms for dual Vdd buffer insertion and buffered tree construction respectively
State of Development
The invention has been experimentally verified.
|United States Of America||Issued Patent||7,877,719||01/25/2011||2005-733|
- He, Lei
materials electronics semconductor filter film
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
PEOPLE WHO VIEWED THIS ALSO VIEWED THESE TECHNOLOGIES BY OTHER INVENTORS
- Off-Chip Multi-Band RF-Interconnect (OMRF-I) Transceiver for Future Advanced High Speed Memory Interface
- Multi-ten Gbps Throughput Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) Processor
- Selective Surface Coating And/or Treatment Of Printing Pins
- Time Stretch Enhanced Recording Scope (TiSER Scope)
- Software And Hardware Methods For Multi-Variant Parallel Program Execution To Detect, Quarantine And Repair Malicious Code Injection