Novel Roles Of A DNA Repair Protein, DNA-PK, In Metabolism, Obesity, And Diabetes
Tech ID: 19518 / UC Case 2010-023-0
|United States Of America||Published Application||20110275699||11/10/2011||2010-023|
Additional Patent Pending
To meet the constant energy requirement in the face of highly variable food supply, mammals employ intricate and precise mechanisms for energy storage. When total energy intake is in excess of energy expenditure such as after a meal, excess carbohydrates are converted to fatty acids (de novo lipogenesis). Excess fatty acids are then converted to triacylglycerol to be stored in adipose tissue and released as oxidative fuels for other tissues during times of energy need such as fasting and exercise.
The present invention describes for the first time that DNA-dependent protein kinase, DNA-PK, is connected to the signaling pathway involved in the formation of fat from carbohydrate in the liver. The enzymes that are involved in fatty acid and fat synthesis are tightly regulated during fasting/feeding. In the fed condition, especially after a high carbohydrate meal, activities of these enzymes drastically increase as blood glucose and insulin levels rise. The present invention demonstrates that DNA-PK regulates the transcription of fatty acid synthase (FAS), a central lipogenic enzyme that plays a crucial role in de novo lipogenesis by catalyzing all of the seven reactions involved in fatty acid synthesis. Therefore, DNA-PK is a pharmacological target for regulation of obesity and diabetes due to a diet high in carbohydrates.
- Pharmacological inhibitors of DNA-PK for treating obesity and diabetes.
- Genetic therapy (siRNA) for treating obesity and diabetes.
- Prevention (or slowing the progression of) obesity, kidney disease, and metabolic diseases such as diabetes.
- DNA-PK is targeting carbohydrate induced obesity.
- Regulates fatty acid synthesis and de novo lipogenesis
- Sul, Hei Sook
- Wong, Roger Hoi Fung
metabolism, obesity, diabetes, protein kinase, lipogenesis, fatty acid
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
PEOPLE WHO VIEWED THIS ALSO VIEWED THESE TECHNOLOGIES BY OTHER INVENTORS
- Novel Tissue Glucose Sensor and Hypoglycemia Detector
- A Method for Rapid Generation of Many Different Branched Epithelial Proto-Organs
- MicroRNA Therapeutics for Augmenting Blood Vessel Growth
- VEGFR-3/VLA-1 Graft Survival Treatment
- Diagnosis And Treatment Of Fatigue, Blindness, Deafness, And Atrial Fibrilation