Novel Current Collector Design for Use in Rechargeable Lithium Metal Batteries
Tech ID: 21969 / UC Case 2011-782-0
A novel current collector design for use in rechargeable lithium metal batteries. This design prevents both dendrite formation on electrode surfaces and electrode volumetric change.
Rechargeable lithium metal batteries promise energy density values three to five times higher than current lithium ion batteries, but they have yet to be practically utilized due to challenges in implementing reliable lithium metal electrodes. Such challenges include dendrite formation, which can lead to battery thermal runaway, and electrode volumetric changes, which threaten the structural integrity of a battery’s electrode and thus impede performance.
Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara have developed a novel current collector design for use in rechargeable lithium metal batteries. This design prevents both dendrite formation on electrode surfaces and electrode volumetric change. By solving both of these major problems associated with lithium metal electrodes, this invention gives high energy density lithium metal batteries the potential for safe and effective implementation into industry.
- Increases safety and reliability of high energy density lithium metal batteries by:
- Preventing dendrite formation on the electrode surface
- Eliminating electrode volumetric change
- Rechargeable Lithium Metal Batteries
This technology is available for licensing. Patent pending.
- Ji, Xiulei
- Stucky, Galen D.
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
- Modular Adhesives And Energy-Dissipating Materials
- Synthesis Of Silica And Silicone Polymer Networks Under Benign Conditions
- Inorganic/Block Coploymer-Dye Composites And Dye-Doped Mesoporous Materials For Optical And Sensing Applications
- Tough, Self-Healing Silicone Materials
- Nanoparticle Assembled Hollow Spheres
- Thermally Stable Proton-Conductive Membranes for Fuel Cell Applications
- Membranes for Electrochemical Devices and Materials (Fuel cells, Photovoltaic, Batteries)
- Hemostatic and Wound Healing Compositions
- High Performance Polymeric Material for Holographic Data Storage
- Low Cost Nanoparticles for Fossil Fuel Exhaust Treatment
- Hydrogen Cyano Fullerene Containing Proton Conducting Membranes
- Hydrophilic Phosphoric Acid Compositions for Proton Conducting Membranes
- Novel Capacitor for Rechargeable Batteries with Longer Lifetimes
- Method of Preparing Silicon and Silicon-Germanium Nanocomposites as Thermoelectric Materials
PEOPLE WHO VIEWED THIS ALSO VIEWED THESE TECHNOLOGIES BY OTHER INVENTORS
- Performance Enhancing Additives For Electrochemical Cells
- Pre-lithiated Graphite from Recycled Li-ion Batteries
- Current Aperture Vertical Electron Transistor (CAVET) for High Power Applications
- Storage Leak Detection System For Petroleum Products
- Polymer-Carbon Nanotube Gel as a New Cathode Material For Enhanced Performance