Etching Technique for the Fabrication of Thin (Al, In, Ga)N Layers
Tech ID: 21820 / UC Case 2005-509-0
Brief DescriptionA safe etching technique for use with (Al, In, Ga)N materials.
Current nitride etching techniques face problems such as damaging sensitive device layers, alteration of quantum well layers and large scale roughening of the etched surface.
Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara have developed a safe etching technique for use with (Al, In, Ga)N materials. The method is designed to fabricate free-standing thin nitride wafers or to remove material from thin nitride membranes. It can remove desired material without damaging sensitive device layers, including quantum well layers, and can facilitate the formation of nitride microcavity structures. The technique is applicable to nitride-based optoelectronic and semiconductor devices.
- Selective removal of desired material without damaging sensitive device layers
- Facilitates the formation of nitride microcavity structures for optoelectronic devices
- Nitride-Based Optoelectronic Devices
- Nitride-Based Semiconductor Devices
This technology is available for licensing. See below for a selection of the patents and patent applications related to this invention. Please inquire for full patent portfolio status.
|United States Of America||Issued Patent||7,795,146||09/14/2010||2005-509|
- Baker, Troy J.
- Haskell, Benjamin A.
- Pattison, Paul M.
- Speck, James S.
GaN, Gallium Nitride, SolidState, TIAProcessing
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
- Self-Assembled Nano-Cluster And Quantum Dot Lattices
- Reduced Dislocation Density of Non-Polar GaN Grown by Hydride Vapor Phase Epitaxy
- Growth of Planar, Non-Polar, A-Plane GaN by Hydride Vapor Phase Epitaxy
- Cleaved Facet Edge-Emitting Laser Diodes Grown on Semipolar GaN
- Enhancing Growth of Semipolar (Al,In,Ga,B)N Films via MOCVD
- Nitride-Based LED with Optimized Efficiency
- Selective Dry Etching of N-Face (Al, In, Ga)N Heterostructures
- Method for Producing GaN Substrates for Electronic and Optoelectronic Devices
- Growth of High-Quality, Thick, Non-Polar M-Plane GaN Films
- Growth of Planar Semi-Polar Gallium Nitride
- Defect Reduction of Non-Polar and Semi-Polar III-Nitrides
- MOCVD Growth of Planar Non-Polar M-Plane Gallium Nitride
- Lateral Growth Method for Defect Reduction of Semipolar Nitride Films
- Semipolar III-Nitride Laser Diodes with Etched Mirrors
- Fabrication of Optoelectronic Devices with Embedded Void-Gap Structures
- Improved Manufacturing of Solid State Lasers via Patterning of Photonic Crystals
- Low Carrier Loss Device Structure for High Performance Green LEDs
- Phosphor-Free White Light Source
- Single or Multi-Color High Efficiency LED by Growth Over a Patterned Substrate
- High Efficiency and High Brightness LEDs for Various Lighting Applications
- Two dimensionally relaxed III-N buffer layers for LEDs
- Novel Layer Structure for Semipolar InGaN/GaN LEDs and Laser Diodes
- Improved LED Performance via Optimized Polarization Properties
- Natural Convection for Ammonothermal Growth of Group-III Nitrides
- Inhibiting Decomposition of Nitrogen-Containing Solvents during Ammonothermal Growth
- Using Off Oriented Seeds to Grow Non-Polar or Semi-Polar Group-III Nitride Crystals
PEOPLE WHO VIEWED THIS ALSO VIEWED THESE TECHNOLOGIES BY OTHER INVENTORS
- Device Structure for High Efficiency LED
- High-Efficiency, White, Single, or Multi-Color LED by Photon Recycling
- GaN-Based Thermoelectric Device for Micro-Power Generation
- Method for Growing High-Quality Group III-Nitride Crystals
- Photonic Structures for Efficient Light Extraction and Conversion in Multi-Color LEDs