Hybrid Silicon Integrated Optical Isolator and Circulator
Tech ID: 21295 / UC Case 2010-660-0
A nonreciprocal ring resonator implemented in a ring isolator, which has the main advantages of miniaturization and integration with other optoelectronic devices. The isolator increases stability and reduces noise in optoelectronic circuits due to a high isolation ratio, which is measured at 9 dB in 1550 nm regime.
The need for higher capacity and lower cost optical networks is driving the development of photonic integrated circuits with various functions, such as lasing, modulation, switching, splitting, and detection. Optical isolation is especially important to reduce unwanted optical reflection back to semiconductor lasers, but is not yet a part of these integrated functions since conventional optical isolators are bulky and difficult to integrate.
Researchers at the University of California, Santa Barbara have developed the first nonreciprocal ring resonator and implemented it in a ring isolator, which has the main advantages of miniaturization and integration with other optoelectronic devices. The isolator increases stability and reduces noise in optoelectronic circuits due to a high isolation ratio, which is measured at 9 dB in 1550 nm regime. It also has a low insertion loss, making for efficient signal propagation. The ring isolator can potentially be configured as an optical circulator, tunable optical filter, or bidirectional wavelength-selective isolator.
- Can be integrated with other optoelectronic devices
- Increased stability and reduced noise in optoelectronic circuits due to high isolation ratio (9 dB isolation ratio achieved in 1550 nm regime)
- Efficient due to low insertion loss
- Optical Isolators
- Optical Circulators
- Tunable Optical Filters
- Bidirectional Wavelength-Selective Isolators
This technology is available for licensing. Patent Pending.
|United States Of America||Issued Patent||8,396,337||03/12/2013||2010-660|
- Bowers, John E.
- Kroemer, Herbert
- Tien, M C.
Optical isolator, Optical circulator
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
- High-Power Pulses From Semiconductor Lasers
- Vcsels With Improved Mirror Properties
- Technique For Creating Buried Blocking Layers For Vertical-Cavity Lasers And Other Devices
- Semiconductor Hetero-Interface Photodetector
- Fused Vertical Couplers
- Efficient Optical Time-Division Demultiplexing And Signal Regeneration
- Loss Modulated Silicon Evanescent Lasers
- Low Noise, Stable Avalanche Photodiode
- Method for Making a Metal Layer Semiconductor Laser
- Integration Of Ultra-Low Loss And Active Silicon Waveguide Layers
- Integrated Bidirectional Optical Amplifier (BOA) for Optical Interconnects
- Enhancement Of Thermoelectric Properties Through Polarization Engineering
- Improved Gallium Nitride (GaN) Thermoelectric Devices
PEOPLE WHO VIEWED THIS ALSO VIEWED THESE TECHNOLOGIES BY OTHER INVENTORS
- Mems Resonators Robust To Process-Induced Feature Variations
- Novel Agents That Act In Steroid-Like Signaling Pathways In Medicine And Agriculture
- Etching Technique for the Fabrication of Thin (Al, In, Ga)N Layers
- Device Structure for High Efficiency LED
- High-Efficiency, White, Single, or Multi-Color LED by Photon Recycling