Conjugated Polymers As Materials For Solid-State Lasers
Tech ID: 10089 / UC Case 1997-017-0
BACKGROUNDConjugated polymers are a novel class of semiconductors that combine the properties of semiconductors with the processing advantages and mechanical properties of polymers. A variety of high-performance photonic devices fabricated from conjugated polymers have been demonstrated, including light-emitting diodes, light-emitting electrochemical cells, polymer grid triodes (a new architecture for plastic transistors), field-effect transistors, photovoltaic cells, photodetectors, and optocouplers; i.e. nearly all categories that characterize the field of photonic devices. In many cases, such polymer-based devices have reached performance levels comparable to, or even better than, their inorganic counterparts. Notably missing from this list, however, has been the category representing solid-state lasers.
DESCRIPTIONScientists at the University of California have developed solid-state lasers based upon a class of semiconducting luminescent conjugated polymers. Thin films of conjugated polymers exhibit thresholds for amplified spontaneous emission as low as 100 W/cm2. A variety of resonator structures have been utilized to enable polymer lasers, including the following: microcavity lasers, distributed feedback lasers, and "whispering gallery" mode lasers.
APPLICATIONSThe polymer-based lasers can take the form of a variety of devices, such as:
- Thin film lasers;
- Optically pumped lasers;
- Injection lasers;
- Light-emitting diodes;
- Light-emitting electrochemical cells.
ADVANTAGESThe conjugated polymer lasing layers are high gain low loss materials. They can exhibit gain narrowing and amplified spontaneous emission with thresholds as low as 100 W/cm2.
|United States Of America||Issued Patent||5,881,083||03/09/1999||1997-017|
- Diaz-Garcia, Maria A.
- Heeger, Alan J.
- Hide, Fumitomo
- Schwartz, Benjamin J.
ADDITIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BY THESE INVENTORS
- Self-Doped Conducting Polymers
- Injection Lasers Fabricated From Semiconducting Polymers
- Electronic Detection Of Molecular Targets, Including Proteins, Oligonucleotides And Other Small Molecules
- Water-Soluble ETL Polymers for LEDs
- Hybrid Inorganic Light-Emitting Devices
- Hybrid Polymer Light-Emitting Device
- Efficient Tandem Polymer Solar Cells Fabricated by All-Solution Processing
PEOPLE WHO VIEWED THIS ALSO VIEWED THESE TECHNOLOGIES BY OTHER INVENTORS
- Method for Producing GaN Substrates for Electronic and Optoelectronic Devices
- Light Absorbing Polymeric Material for Organic Photovoltaic Devices
- Low Temperature Wafer Bonding For Microwave and Power Electronics
- Donor-Acceptor Rod-Coil Diblock Copolymer based on P3HT containing fullerene (C¬60)
- Higher Purity Environment for the Ammonothermal Growth of Group III Nitrides